In addition to the well-received annual theater production, The Caucasian Chalk Circle, Upper School Fine Arts students received recognition and were given many opportunities to hone their craft in the last few months:
- Congratulations to Cole Shackelford ’19 for being chosen to attend this year’s District Band at Western Albemarle High School.
- Congratulations to Jacob Sawyer ’15 and Aliece Carney ’16 for exhibiting their art work at the State Capitol in February. Delegate Rob Bell complimented them on their work and sent his appreciation for their entries.
- Becki Moore’s 3-D Design classes will be installing their artwork at the IX Art Park in April as part of a very large mural that Chicho Lorenzo is currently painting on the exterior wall of the IX manufacturing plant. Masks that the students are creating will become part of the permanent exhibit.
- Congratulations to Charlotte Hendrix ’16, who applied and interviewed for the Virginia Governor’s School and received a perfect score on her portfolio review.
- In March, Upper School concert band students had the opportunity to work with two professional musicians from the Preludes program in master classes to further develop tone and technique on their instruments. Preludes is a Charlottesville Symphony outreach program that works with young musicians in the area.
- Fine Arts Friday featured a performance by our Handbell Choir in the morning and a Meet the Artist reception with nationally recognized portrait painter, Jane Angelhart, at lunch. Ms. Angelhart specializes in both watercolor and oils and is well known for her painting workshops internationally.